May 18, 2012

Fit Links! Fit Links! Get ‘em While They're Hot!

Ladies and Gents! Welcome to the last early edition of the Friday Fit Links!
Today’s edition comes to you from one super happy Cait, and this is her last full day of work. Scary and joyous all at the same time.
But, without further ado,  time for some weekend reading.
1. If you’ve been reading, you know I’m not one to 1. pass up sweets and 2. supplement meals with shakes, bars, and meal replacements. But, I think I have found my new after workout meal and/or nightly dessert. I discovered Dashing Dish this week from pinterest. She’s an RN who now cooks and blogs full time, offering health coaching, specific meal plans, and some workout plans. Not only do most of her recipes looks absolutely delish, but she offers her Dashing DishTM Official Protein Shake. I’m more of a Greek yogurt shake based girl, so I’m interested in the cottage cheese base. I’m not picturing something very tasty, but the Cake Batter Protein Shake…I don’t know… I don’t think I can pass up trying it.
2. While on topic of food, a new study has shown a new link between drinking lots of coffee and living longer. I’m all for it, though, I have to stop my coffee consumption by ten or I won’t sleep at night. Which is what makes me wonder about this study. Too much caffeine = lack of sleep. Lack of sleep = decreased life. If a=b and b=c then  according to the law of Math, therefore, too much caffeine = decreased life which technically would null and void the new study, right? So since I’m a genius and just figured out that this new research isn’t sound, feel free to contact the New England Journal of Medicine . I’ll even let you have some of the credit.
But I’m still going to drink my 1-2 cups of coffee every morning.
3. At one point in my injury annoyance, the doc said my Piriformis was tight. I responded with, “there’s a reasoning behind the pain in my butt besides my brother?” Anyway, the Piriformous is this crazy muscle in our butts that can actually get really tight from running and can cause a lot of different issues: sciatic nerve pain (the P runs right over it and so when tight, presses down on the nerve), related pain in the IT Band, etc. And quite literally, a pain in the butt. It’s not always a tight muscle, either, that cause the issues, but a weak and over worked one.  Over the last couple of years my P has annoyed me, but I’ve learned to keep the flair down by rolling my butt around on a tennis ball and stretching the area, not too mention strengthening the area. What better reason to get my butt lookin’ good than to get rid of pain? I’ve found  pigeon pose is the best stretch for the area, but here’s a short series with a few more stretches that I also love. Via Sage Rountree and Runner’s World
4. A blogger who runs posted this via Twitter this week, and I found it appropriate given my The 25th Year quest. And so, I give you the Quarter Life Crisis Test. Never fear, I only scored a 4  so I “must be so magnificent at life that [I]have little to no cares in the world” Basically, I’m not having a quarter life crisis as I thought I was. However, as of today I am doing #2 (quitting my job to chase my dreams), #5 is a regular occurrence, the second part of #12 was a constant though this past year, and #13 is my everyday thought. But according to this test, I’m not having a crisis. I’ll just keep telling myself that.
5. Speaking of crisis, here’s one more reason I really need to get my anxiety under control. I was reading a few health articles on EmpowHer this week, and found this one interesting: Chronic Stress: A Major Suspect in Alzheimer’s Study Says. Not really something I want to hear 1. because I stress way more than I need too and 2. Alzheimer’s runs in my family. There’s a lot of medical jargon in the issue, but if you can past the language, it’s really interesting. It make me think more about how I must get a handle on my stress. Not only does it effect my life in the now, but it could play a major factor down the road. Alzheimer’s is something close to my heart because my family has been affected by it, and I think it’s one of the reason’s I’m a writer. I want to preserve memories as best I can.
6. Something else close to my heart is our military and our veterans. Now, I’m no good at fundraising, (I only sold those candy bars and meat and cheese trays to my family) but since I’m going to be tackling a first this fall with the marathon, I thought, why not go full force and try running for a cause? I haven’t officially signed up for either, but when I do, I think I’m going to be signing up to become an athlete for Team RWB. Their vision is to transform the way wounded veterans are reintegrated into society when they return from combat and exit their position. And that is something I believe in considering I have a veteran in my own life. I encourage you to check out Team RWB and support them!

7. Lastly, I am going to leave you with some humor. If you haven’t caught on to the viral sensation of the Hey Runner Girl Tumblr blog, then let me introduce you. 
That definitely just happened. A whole blog of Ryan Gosling talking to us runner girls. Not only is it a nice blog to look at, but it’s quite hilarious. Check it out. Have a laugh. Enjoy.
Alright readers, that’s it for today.
Have a good Friday!
Passing the Baton: Any fitness links you’ve read this week that you’d like to add?? I need some reading myself!
______
Seek Peace. Find Joy.