June 12, 2012

LUNA review series 3: LUNA bars and the newest flavor

One last post in my LUNA review series, and boy am I excited about this one!

I am back to reviewing some on the LUNA bar flavors because believe it or not—there were still two I hadn’t tried yet!

cc   ph

 

Honestly, the LUNA bar is my go-to bar. I usually carry one on my purse for when I feel low on blood sugar, or if I’m traveling, or lately for either a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack while I’m in class.
All the flavors taste pretty great, and they have such a good balance of protein/fiber that I feel good after eating them.
As per the rest of their flavors, these two are high in calcium and folic acid, and rich in antioxidants A, C, and E.

Caramel Nut Brownie

I’m a little sad about this one, but it’s not about the flavor.

It’s because I had to share this one.

I received the package of samples the day before my brother’s college graduation.
I had a busy morning the day of, and on the way out the door, I grabbed the Carmel Nut brownie to hold me over during the looong ceremony.
I actually sort of skimped on breakfast that day, and totally skipped lunch since we were cooking out afterwards.
But once we got into the arena, my growling stomach kicked in, and so did Wonder Woman’s.

Despite the tempting smell, I was a nice daughter and shared my LUNA bar with her (she’s a fan too!) so we would at least both have a bit of sustenance and not pass out and miss our little boy graduating.

So, LUNA describes this bar as  rich chocolate brownie goodness drizzled with creamy caramel.
I have to admit. I was skeptical about this flavor mainly because caramel is my homie.
I mean, we tight people.
I ADORE caramel anything, and I feel most sweet things can only be improved with caramel.

But, once again, I agree with LUNA.
This bar has 180 calories, 6g fat, 26g carbs, 3g fiber, and 8g protein.
So if you halve that, you’d think it wouldn’t be too much to hold one over for a couple of hours, but it did.
And both Wonder Woman and I were impressed with the flavor.
There is definitely a thick, brownie feel to this bar even though it still has the signature LUNA crunch. And the caramel drizzle on top passes my test.
It’s not a sticky, gummy, or make-my-teeth-hurt kind of caramel either.
It’s simple.

I feel like this bar would definitely be better in the afternoon, though, or even as a dessert because it is definitely sweet.
But it’s still a believe ‘em in my book, and I’m going with a 10*

 

Peanut Honey Pretzel

Oh. My. Goodness.

I was definitely excited to be trying  this bar because it’s the newest flavor of LUNA, and I have not found it anywhere around my area.
Plus, I am a huge peanut butter/honey kind of person, so this combination + a pretzel intrigued me.

LUNA describes it as an indulgent blend of of the smooth sweetness of honey and the salty crunch of peanuts and pretzels.
I mean, how does that not sound delicious? The best of both worlds!
And look at it.

LUNA was seriously  legit about the pretzels.


But my favorite part was what I’m calling the honey-goo

This bar has 190 calories, 8g fat, 22g carbs, 3g fiber, and 9g protein.
And it is a filler-upper.
I snacked on this one while I was at the train station, and it held me for about three hours.
The bad thing about researching in public is that I know people gave me weird looks.
But I was ridiculously happy about this bar.

I tend to be a fan of the SALTYSWEET combo in anything. But I often eat a bunch of sweet stuff then have to turn around and eat something salty.
As always with LUNA, I found this flavor to not only be the best of both SaltySweet, but it is a much better and healthier alternative than a chocolate bar and potato chips.
Not that I munch on those or anything.
And even though I have an aversion to pretzels sometimes, I feel like the PB + honey really added to this bar and made me forget about the pretzels.
It’s definitely a sweet flavor, no doubt about that with the honey-goo, but surprisingly, the honey flavor was a subtly sweet.


Ultimately, this bar is just a really good flavor combination, and if you’re a SaltySweet kind of person, you’ll love this one.

Which is why this happened when I got to the last bite.

I am a HUGE believe ‘em on this flavor and it gets a 10plus*

That wraps it up for my LUNA review series!

I just want to send a BIG THANKS to LUNA bar for the sample products. They were great, and I appreciate the opportunity to try them!

Tune in next week for some more Tell it to You Tuesday stuff!

Passing the Baton: Have you had either or these flavors? If so, what’s you verdict? Have I been convincing enough to make you run out and try LUNA? If so, tell me your stories!

________
* Disclaimer. I was not paid to write this review. I received the LUNA bars, fair and square, from the company.  All of the thoughts and opinions are mine and mine alone based on personal tasting of the product. 100% honesty. As part of this series, LUNA was not promised a positive review, they just happened to get it.