June 5, 2012

LUNA Review Series 2: Protein Bars

This week’s LUNA review is about their sweet, candy-bar like (my term) protein bars.  Or, the powerhouse team as I like to call them.
These bars come in five different flavors: Mint Chocolate Chip, Cookie Dough (my fav), Chocolate Peanut Butter, Chocolate Cherry, and good ‘ole Chocolate.
But I’ll be reviewing these two beauties today, the newest flavors and two that hadn’t crossed my palate yet:


choc mint                                              choc protein

Here’s what LUNA has to say about these bars:
LUNA Protein is a gluten free high protein bar for women that provide satiation. In under 200 calories, LUNA Protein offers 12 grams of soy and whey protein and 3 grams of fiber to satisfy hunger. It is free of trans fats, hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup; artificial sweeteners, flavors or preservatives; and ingredients sourced from GMOs.
As always, Luna Protein bars include the Core 4 of calcium, folic acid, vitamin D, and iron.
These little sweets also include fiber and antioxidants (vitamins A, C, and E)
They range from 6-9g of fat and 13-15g sugar depending on the flavor

Mint Chocolate Chip
Mint chocolate is pretty high on my list of flavor pairings. So when LUNA came out with this bar I was super stoked to try it.
However, it took me a bit because this flavor isn’t a popular one in my area.
Never fear.
There is such a thing as internet shopping.
I apologize for my crazy bad picture, but I consumed this between a good tempo treadmill workout and an 8am class.
Needless to say, all I had was my phone camera, and about a bite left because the Mint Chocolate was just too good.
LUNA describes this bar as chocolate chips suspended in chocolate-y nougat with a hint of refreshing peppermint.
Boy do they have that down!
I really liked this flavor because it was a great mix of chocolate and mint. The mint was very light and not overly powerful as it can sometimes be.
This isn’t a peppermint patty people.
It’s just enough mint to make your tongue happy and leave a good aftertaste.
Plus who doesn’t love mini chocolate chips!


It has 170 calories, 5g fat, 20g carbs, 3g fiber, and 12 g protein.
What’s really great about these protein bars is they aren’t too big or too small.
Which means they aren’t really a meal replacement bar or even a diet bar but instead a great after workout snack.
Like I said, I ate this one after a quick workout for the protein content because protein makes for a great after workout recovery.
(If I paired one of these with a big glass of chocolate milk, I’d be set!)
Protein is actually really vital for muscle tissue repair and recovery, so the fact that this little bar has 12 grams and is portable…well, that just makes me like it more.
And since these pretty much taste like a candy bar, but are good for you, I don’t feel one bit of guilt eating them as they help my muscles heal.
If you’re a mint-chocolate kind of fan then this is the bar for you.
It’s a believe ‘em  kind of product (and flavor) and it gets a 10*

Chocolate
I mean, need I say more?
I know I had you at Chocolate.
I wasn’t sure what to expect with this flavor.
If it was like the other LUNA proteins I had tried, I knew it would be nougat-y filled.
But would it be solid chocolate nougat? Or a hint of nougat? Light and fluffy?
Wouldn’t you know that I got a little surprised when I bit into to it and found chocolate chips!
LUNA describes it as rich chocolate-y nougat with chocolate chips and crisps to add a sweet crunch!
Doesn’t it just look like a candy bar you want to gobble up?
This one also has 170 calories, 5g fat, 20g carbs, 3g fiber, and 12 g protein.
If I’m remembering correctly, I ate this one in the afternoon after some weight training. I was a little hungry, mostly just needed a small snack to tide me over until dinner, and the Chocolate did the trick!
One other great fact about the Luna Protein bars is that they are a low G. I. food so if you happen to be watching your carb count (which I do... I mean, I watch those carbs get devoured  seeing as how I’m a carboholic and al...) these would be a good choice for you as perhaps an afternoon snack.
It’s a  believe ‘em  product, but I’m only giving the Chocolate a 7* Even with the chocolate chips, I felt like it was missing something.
I can’t help it. I’m a flavor mixer kind of gal.
That’s is for round 2 of my Luna reviews.
Up next week is a few more LUNA bar flavors to round out the series.

If you missed last week’s Tell it to Me (or you!)  Tuesday, go check out my review of what I’ve dubbed the Luna Cookie bars
And don’t forget  you can find my review of Luna’s new product, the fiber bar. I still have to get my hands on the Peanut Butter Strawberry and Chocolate Raspberry(Have any of you tried those flavors yet? What are your thoughts?)
Passing the Baton: What do you think of the LUNA protein bars in general? Have you tried any of them? If so, how do you feel about/rate them? What’s your favorite flavor overall?  Do you think they are a healthy alternative to a candy bar?
________
* Disclaimer I was not paid to write this review. I received the LUNA  protein bars, fair and square, from the company. All of the thoughts and opinions are mine and mine alone based on personal tasting of the product. 100% honesty. As part of this series, LUNA was not promised a positive review, they just happened to get it.

2 comments:

  1. I love the chocolate and so does Cody!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. makes me hungry for one!

    ReplyDelete