June 18, 2012

Motivating Monday: I’m a distance runner

I never, ever thought I would say that.

Ever.

See. I ran sprints in high school. I HATED the mile warm ups.
Then I got to college and realized I wasn’t really athletically special, and with all the “free” cafeteria food, I wasn’t about to gain a billion pounds. (Which is why I cold turkey’d soda and I’ve never looked back.)

So one morning I went to the gym on the first floor of my dorm, stepped on a treadmill, hit the 5k trainer button, and ran 3 miles.

I did that for a million days in a row and eventually headed outside.

And then I finished my first half-marathon that Spring.

And now,5 years later,  I’m a triathlete, contemplating my first marathon, joining a running club, starting up a beginners running group, maybe organizing a 5k, and purely addicted to the miles I can tally up in a week hoping to sometime hit 50.

Crazy. Absolutely crazy.

It’s taken awhile, but I’m learned that it’s all in the name of endurance.
Nothing comes easy and nothing comes fast.

But it always comes at the right time.

And because in all honestly, I don’t know how to give up.

In running.

Or in life.

Just ask Wonder Woman.
I was the world’s most stubborn child.
I can’t even count how many times I got locked in my room.

If only she knew how much running calms me she could’ve just taken me to the track and made me run lap after lap.

Last week wasn’t the best pre-marathon-training week for me, but I didn’t give up.

I like Spring running.
I love Fall running.
But Summer running… I sort of love-hate it.

It’s the heat. It kills me.

But I’m determined. Even if I don’t have a running buddy to train with this fall. I want the marathon.
I want relentless forward progress to the finish.
Because that’s such a beautiful metaphor for life.
It’s not easy. It’s ridiculously hard, and it hurts at times, but there’s a finish.
Someday there is going to be a beautiful finish, and I want to be told “Well Done.”
I want to have run the race.

Today was supposed to be an off cardio day since I’m weaning my way into more run days… but I woke up early out of habit and I headed out.
3 miles in 25 minutes… not too bad in my book.
And I finished the miles, which is what counts.
Summer running’s got nothing on me this year.

So one day of training done for the week. Running group starting tomorrow. The Lincoln Running Club kicks off Sunday. Music Man comes home in 5 days.
It’s going to be a beautiful summer.

Passing the Baton: What’s on your docket this week to kick start summer? Starting a training plan? In the middle of one? What’s your next race? Should I be totally giddy and happy when Music Man comes home, or throw him off and act like it’s no big deal, then surprise him with something?  Ideas people! I need some crazy ideas!
__________
Seek Peace. Choose Joy. Find Strong.