June 21, 2011

Guest post on Bake Lore

Tonight I had the opportunity to be a guest blogger on my sister-in-law's blog, Bake Lore. She is a wonderful baker and very talented cake decorator. In fact, she is the baker who made my wedding cake (check out her blog banner... my cake is the featured cake!)

Since I'm an aspiring baker myself, Bake Lore asked for a story. I took a fundamentals of baking class last fall and attempted my very first decorated cake. I'm honored to be a guest blogger on her blog.
Here's a tease of my post:

I grew up with a mother who made birthday cakes. And not just any birthday cakes but decorated cakes. Wilton Startip #17 decorated cakes. I remember Cookie Monster and Birt and Ernie. Carousel horses, teddy bears, cars, and trucks. The Little Mermaid, Barbie, dinosaurs, and cupcakes. Lots of star tipped cupcakes.

Then there were the buttercream colors. Yellows and blues. Reds and purples. Greens and oranges. In all shades mind you. I loved watching her decorate, mostly because I loved sticking my fingers in that real buttercream. I never picked up a piping bag, though, until last fall.

Head over to Bake Lore to read the rest!