August 1, 2011

Monday Morning Meditation: Thankfulness

I could spend my morning in anxiousness or I could seek peace.
And this morning, I choose peace.
I would like to thank my 30-day [home practice] yoga challenge.

Saturday marked the last day of the challenge, and I am here to tell you it was a success.
I never missed one day of my yoga practice this past month; however, I never really made it into a deep, hour long practice either. Most of my mornings were spent in 10 to 20 minute increments of yoga often focusing on trouble spots, mainly because I didn't want to wake up any earlier than I already do. BUT, the winning part of this challenge is that even if I never spent a long time doing sequences, or even if my hamstrings are still tight as ever, or even if I still have muscles that need healing, my mind has settled down.

And that has been worth the challenge.


In honor of learning how to quiet my mind and rid myself of the anxiousness/burdens, I'm making a list this morning. A list of things I am thankful for.

1. Instead of hating my job, I am thankful for the chance I have to get up every morning and drive to work. I am thankful for a job.
2. Instead of worrying about whether or not we can pay our bills this month, I am thankful for the fact that we have bills to pay. It means we have a home.
3. Instead of complaining about always having to do the dishes, and the laundry, and putting the toilet seat down, I am thankful for the chores I have. It means I have someone to take care of.
4. Instead of disliking my body and wishing I had more time to train, I am thankful for my muscles (even if they have atrophied) and my curves because I am healthy. 
5. Instead of being depressed because my husband works second shift/nights and we hardly see each other, I am thankful for my marriage. Music Man makes me more happy than I ever thought possible, and I am thankful for the love we have which sustains us when apart.

Anxiety has plagued me for far too long. It's time to learn how to quiet myself, and to be thankful. I am amazed at how the mere act of thinking positively and how finding at least one thing to be thankful for can change my whole attitude for the day.
I'm normally a "glass half-full" kind of lady. I always have been until just recently; I don't quite know what caused the shift, but I'm working on shifting it back. It's a learning process--life is. But thankfully, I have a husband who can't seem to see the negative in life... and he's helping steer me in the positive direction.

If you don't have anyone to encourage you, let me be that person.
Find something you are thankful for today.
Let it change your life.