December 14, 2011

Homemade from my heart

You would think that with only eleven days until Christmas, I would have all of my gift shopping, wrapping, and holiday baking done. But, alas, that is not the case. In fact, I have not even started yet.

Last weekend was chalk full with a book club meeting and ladies day out, grocery shopping, laundryy-ing, and youth group with the high school kids. I guess I did bake a small batch of shortbread cookies Friday night because I was in the mood to bake, and I felt very Christmas-y with Michael Buble's Christmas Special on in the background. However, I've devoured those cookies long before they can even find a place under the Christmas tree.

This year, I'm doing something different with gifts. It's our first Christmas juggling where and when we'll be spending Christmas festivities with the families as we were in Texas last holiday season  for our first Christmas together. Music Man suggested moving back to Texas for a bit so we wouldn't have to stress out about the abundance of traveling and Christmases. But in reality, we're looking forward to families, and I'm hoping for a stress-free gift giving as I venture into the world of homemade gifts.

Between the two of us, we have a pretty large family, and we haven't implemented drawing names for gift giving on his side of the family yet (thought I'm definitely bringing it up!) and there's no way I could show up without a gift for everyone this year. So, in lieu of my big heart and small wallet, I'll be creating in the kitchen for everyone. Now, since I know you're reading this Mother and Mother-in-law, I'll be keeping all the presents secret until after the holidays. No peeking for you.

I have twelve items on my Christmas-to-bake list (and I think one of two might be on my 25 eats,) so it's a good thing this weekend is empty, as well as my vacation day next Friday.

But honestly, even if I didn't have a vacation day, I would still be finding time to bake for my family and friends. Because Christmas truly isn't about the gifts, or the pretty wrapping, or the lights, or the presents or any of that other commercial stuff (I'm channeling Linus here). It's about the truth that Christ came as a gift of love for us. So that one day we may find grace. (My friend Bethany wrote a very moving post about gifts here).

And that's why I'm venturing into homemade gifts this year. Because I know when I bake, I put in an ingredient that you just can't find anywhere else.

So if you need me between now and the new year, I'll be baking up Christmas with love.

_____
Learn contentment. Seek peace. Find joy. Live Faith. Breathe hope.

1 comment:

  1. And the love was truly felt with the home-baked gifts. They were ALL delicious! A certain spouse of this commentor said you definitely learned from your mother. Made this woman feel great!

    ReplyDelete