March 9, 2012

Fitness Links Friday

Check it.

When I'm bored at work, I often peruse Publisher's Weekly, the news, and health websites.

I can't help it. I get really bored, really easily. And I like to read. Don't tell my boss.

So I thought, why not share some of this good 'ole stuff with you guys? That way you know some of the things I talk about are actually legit.

(I have no idea where this cool/gangsta voice is coming from, but, just roll with it with me.)

So here's to what I'm calling Fitness Links Fridays.

1. First up are these AWESOME ladies over in Portland and California who are going to be riding the entire Tour de France route before the actual race. In fact, they'll be riding each stage one day before the men because we all know the race is a male-only kind of gig. Oh, you didn't know? Well, now that I've told you, go out there and cheer on these women cause they aren't doing it race style. They'll be riding without closed off roads, cheering crowds, or other racers to draft off of.
Hard. Core.


2. Do you dream of racing the Ironman Kona race like I do? Are you pretty sure there's no way in heaven that you'd ever make the qualifying time like I'm pretty certain I wouldn't? Well, then today might be your last, lucky day to enter the lottery (if you have $40 for the application fee, have competed in at least 12 full distance Ironman branded races, never competed in the World Championship, competed in a least one Ironman event in 2010 and 2011, and be registered for at least one Ironman event in 2012)  for the sheer chance that you'll be 1 of 100 general age groupers drawn to enter the race.
I pretty sure after those qualifications, I'll never make the race unless I pull a Dr. Faustus or sell my kidney on the black market to afford all those race entries. Nevertheless, someday I will try.

3. I'm not a soda drinker at all, but there's new results from a study that says the caramel color in Coke and Pepsi show links to cancer.  Haven't we all heard that before, though? Isn't there always something in soda that causes cancer? Whether or not an abundant amounts of soda will do that to your body, I say don't drink it, especially if you're a runner. It dehydrates you. But if you must, drink in moderation. As we should act with anything we put into our bodies as nutrients. That's my theory anyway. I mean, I'm not giving up my baked good anytime soon, but, in moderation there is no harm.

I'm pretty sure I read a whole lot more this week, but it's Friday night and this is about all I can remember at the moment.
I'll keep better track next week. I promise.


Have a great weekend everyone!