May 14, 2012

Motivating Monday: Regret and Accountability

I initially set my alarm to get up and cycle this morning. After all, my triathlon training plan started last week.
When I woke up, I realized that it wasn’t yet light out at, which is ok for running, not so much cycling.

So I snoozed a couple four times, and then did some yoga instead.

Am I going to skip my cycling workout today, though, since I didn’t get up and do it?
No way.
It’s going to be another beautiful day, so I’m biking to work, and then two folding it by biking to the gym, getting my lift on, and biking home.
Biking  to work may be more casual than a training ride, but it’s better than sitting in my car for the two miles. At least I’ll be getting some kind  of workout. It’s the “extra” for the day.

I am by no means perfect when it comes to working out. In fact, there are probably more days that I sleep in then actually get up and workout. Except for running. Since I have an RB, it makes it much easier to get out of bed. But these days when I’m supposed to be swimming or biking… it’s been tough. I’ve been trying to be better about swimming because 5-6 am is the only time the pool is open for community swim, so if I miss it, I don’t get another chance.
But with biking, lifting, or even running, there’s always time for a second chance in the day.

And that’s what I tell myself if I hit snooze. I sort of give myself an ultimatum. If I’m going to skip my workout and sleep in, then I have to get my workout in before I hit the bed again . That’s all there is too it. No if, and’s, or but’s about it.
Some mornings, that thought really gets me out of bed because I know I won’t have time that evening to workout. But other mornings, like today, I realized me evening is fairly free, so I best be getting my cycling in then. And by combining it with lifting, then I’m keeping myself accountable because once I’m done at the gym, the only way home is on my bike.

Tonight, I’ll feel good. As long as I get my workout in. If I don’t, then it’s true… I do regret those days I don’t do anything when my training plan has laid it out there. It’s not always regret, but sometimes disappointment in myself. I’ve let myself down.

It’s Monday. It’s not a day to feel regret or disappointment from not working out. I know we all came off a weekend, and in my world, a good one, but it’s time to get back to the grind.

I’ll post my workout tonight and prove to you I did it.

Passing the Baton: What’s on your workout docket today? Do you have a set training plan? If so, what are you training for? Leave me a comment and let me know what today consisted of for you. We can work on this accountability thing together.