July 2, 2012

Motivating Monday: Abs Challenge and Marathon Prep

It’s day 2 of Run to the Finish’s<< abs challenge, and I’m pushing through.

But I won’t lie. I definitely wanted to give up yesterday.

Day 1<< was really hard, especially for my weak core. I was only able to do 2 of the 4 rounds (which I don’t feel too bad because Amanda from RTTF said she started off slowly when she tried that challenge last month) but I did just run 7 miles before I attempted the workout, too.
And by the time evening rolled around, my body was tired from a week of building miles.

But today, I told myself I would push through.
And I did 2 rounds in a row this morning  of Day 2’s workout<< before I felt like my core had died.
But, I did two rounds, which means I still have two more to do before bed tonight and I WILL.
I’m feeling good today, not only am I building strength in my abs… but I’m building confidence in them, believing I can tackle the workout.

Right now, I’m “pre-training” for the marathon. I have this week and next week before my official training starts and I start to move past my high mileage of 25 miles a week.
Am I nervous? Scared my back/hammie/IT  band won’t be able to take it?

Yes.

But I’m building my core, nurturing my IT band, trying to incorporate cross training, conquering yoga, and trying to eat clean all to help me as I increase my mileage.

Basically,

And I think I’m going to adopt this mantra for my marathon.

I’m moving into unknown territory.
I’m going to start running more days a week than I have been the past couple of years. I’m going to start running longer training distances that I’ve ever done.
I’m going to *hopefully* be pushing my pace for some runs and sharing runs with a group of runners.

All to push myself. All to fall in love with running.

All to endure 26.2

Those goals and those miles encourage me to become stronger.
I have to try to become stronger. I have to want to become stronger.  I have to become stronger.
In body. In mind. In spirit.

Let’s face it. Isn’t that the definition of enduring?

Some definitions say “lasting” “durable” “patient suffering” “to hold out against”  “to suffer without yielding”

but one of my favorites it this:

en·dure
verb (used without object)
to have or gain continued or lasting acknowledgment or recognition, as of worth, merit or greatness (dictionary.com)

And I’m not saying when I go from this world that I want some great recognition of my name.
I’m saying that in my own life, I want to endure.
I want to know that what I’ve done physically/fitness wise has made me stronger. I want my fitness to have worth in my life. To have made me a healthy being. To have given me lasting strength of mind because I’ve finished 26.2, or 70.3, or whatever.

I want my endurance to teach me that I can run past anything because I have finished.

So this week, I’m physically busy getting stronger with the hope that mentally and emotionally and spiritually I’m doing the same.

Passing the Baton: What about you? Can you say you’re busy getting stronger in some area of your life? How does running/fitness metaphorically speak for you?
__________________
Seek Peace. Choose Joy. Find Strong.