July 12, 2012

Thought for a Thursday: Gratitude and what I take for granted

Lately, I’ve been wondering about this rascal.

For a good minute last week, I thought I had poisoned him. But, the bag of food we had for him wasn’t part of the recall.
Then, last night I had the creepiest dream about him having a stroke, and being all off balance and wobbly. Probably because I saw a three legged dog yesterday.

And then this morning as I walked in the door from my morning run, my best friend proceeded to tell me she awoke to the sound of my dog barfing.

Eureka, I’ve discovered the cause of the secret spots.

So… we have a vet appointment tomorrow to see what’s up with the guy.

Yup. HIs barf was definitely part of my morning, as was the fact that I got to haul our our overloaded garbage.
My least favorite chore ever that Music Man somehow manages to weasel out of every time he leaves.

But as I was carrying the stinky bag full of barf infused napkins across the parking lot, I started thinking.
Even though I don’t normally handle this chore, I was thankful for the chance.

Because it reminded me of how someone in my life will take care of something I hate to do, just to help out or make me feel better.
And that even though JJ is a dog, he’s still a beating heart to care for and one prepping me for a whole lot more caring down the road.

It got me thinking about gratitude and my 25th year, and how I’m on this search to banish anxiety and find happiness.
But then I though, what if I don’t accomplish every single thing on my list?
Will I not be joyful? Will I be disappointed? Will I not have mastered the act of happiness?

No.

Because no matter much I try to find happiness, I think happiness is already here.

It’s in the small things.

It’s in the daily things.

It’s in the fact that Music Man always takes out the garbage, or takes JJ outside before bed just so I don’t have too.

It’s in the fact that even though I had a horrible-beautiful run this morning, I was able to get up and move.

It’s in the fact that even though JJ might be sick and is a little mopey because Music Man is gone, he is able to feel and love.
And tomorrow is his birthday.

I’m not going to give up my quest and just forget about the 25th year, because those really are things I want to do for me. And in fact, I’m making progress on them and they truly are helping me to let go of my anxiety.

And I know some of you might read my blog and think, “she complains a lot” because I talk about missing my husband while he’s gone, or I talk about how hard running really is for me.

But this is a blog about my life.
A blog about enduring through my life.

And so that means I’m going to talk about the hard stuff I face, and yeah, I’m probably going to complain about it some, and then write about it all metaphorically because that’s what I do.

But it’s a little thing that makes me happy.

Words.
Sharing with you, even if I don’t know who you are.

Because my hope is that in sharing  my little things—especially in gratitude—is that  I’m able to help you find yours.

 

"Writing isn’t about making money, getting famous, getting dates, getting laid, or making friends. In the end, it’s about enriching the lives of those who will read your work, and enriching your own life, as well. It’s about getting up, getting well, and getting over. Getting happy, okay? Getting happy."
~Stephen King, On Writing

Thought for your Thursday: How are you getting happy today? This week? What’s something little in your life that if you thought about it right now would make you smile?
____________________
Seek Peace. Choose Joy