February 15, 2012

The Power of Rest

I'm learning to not take my training too seriously.
"But you're a hardcore runner, aren't you?" you may ask.

Why yes, yes I am. Thank you for noticing. But I'm learning that recovery is often the most important part of training.
And so, that's why even though I completely skipped yesterday's 3 mile run in favor of a night out on the town with Music Man and a group of friends, I'm not going to make it up.
Last year, I fought so much with my training plan for the Christie Clinic Half marathon because I was dealing with over training, often times referred too as burnout. I'd put off my running days only to tell myself I'd make them up later; therefore, doubling my mileage on days as I crammed two or three runs into one, and increasing my mileage immensely more than I should have been. Without hardly ever taking a day of rest.
The longest training run I ended up doing was 7.5 miles. Half of the actual race. To be quite honest, I don't know how I finished the race without walking or getting injured. But I did.
So this year, I'm taking a different approach. I'm actually enjoying the aspect of running again. I want to get out there and train. But I'm not going to force myself to make up lost days. I'm learning to rest.

Enduring is about moving forward at all times, and it's especially about moving when you don't want too. So, today, I'm not looking back on the mileage I missed yesterday, but instead taking my training for what it is today: new, different, and definitely nothing to make up.

Because when I get all wrapped up in past training and what I've missed for the week, it becomes heavy and burdensome.
I try too hard to make up those miles instead of logging more.
And I forget that on those days of rest my muscles are healing. They are remembering what they did the night before and preparing for what lies ahead.

What would happen if we all rested once in a while?