March 22, 2012

A Few Running Books you Need to Check Out

And now for a commercial break.

I would like to take moment and plug a couple of books that have me in a tizzy because they finally launched this week.

I would also like to take a moment and first throw out a disclaimer: I am not a mother (my greyhound doesn’t really count) yet, but when we do decide to have kids, I fully intend to run and stay fit through my pregnancy. (Like these awesome ladies! Hungry Runner Girl and NYC RunningMama) Therefore, I see reading Train like a Mother: How to Get Across Any Finish Line-and Not Lose Your Family, Job, Or Sanity by Dimity McDowell and Sarah Bowen Shea, and their first book, RunLike a Mother: How to Get Moving –and Not Lost Your Family, Job or Sanity, as good preparation for the future.
 
Plus, the authors have strong and hilarious voices. RLAM was a great read and had some really great suggestions--gear, nutrition, etc. that actually applied to my non-mother life--so I’m looking forward to TLAM which launched on Tuesday.

And I’m all about collecting different training plans and trying out different approaches to races.

The second book that launched this week is The Runner’s Guide to Yoga: A Practical Approach to Building Strength and Flexibility for Better Running, by Sage Rountree. I’ve talked about Sage here, and I cannot wait to get my hands on her new book. I have had The Athlete’s Guide to Yoga in my arsenal for a couple of years and cannot say enough good things about her yoga approach. She is a runner and endurance athlete herself, not to mention a registered yoga teacher, so by combining the two, she really knows exactly what muscle groups and sore areas to hit.
Yoga improves my running and triathlon performance. If I go a week without some sort of routine, I can tell. The next week my muscles are heavy, sore, and I just feel off. The Athlete’s Guide helps keep my swimming and biking muscles in balance, as well as my running muscles, but I’m really excited to see the expanded guidance for running.
I’ll hopefully be posting full reviews soon.

And now, back to your regular scheduled posting.



Passing the Baton: What are some running/fitness books you keep in your arsenal?

1 comment:

  1. Awww! Thank you for including me in this post!!!
    I can't wait to pick up a copy of "train like a mother"! So excited it finally came out!
    My other fav running book is "Born to Run" - not necessarily a book on form or training, but an inspirational book that makes you want to get up and start running ultras!!!

    ReplyDelete