March 30, 2012

Fitness Links for reading

Welcome to Friday!
I seemed to disappear from my blog this week, but it's been an off week around here. I got my training runs in this week and feel great, but work has been busy! So, I've actually been busy working instead of writing.
However, I did find time to get some good reading for your weekend. Here goes:

source
1. One of my biggest weaknesses with my training is my core workout. Well, not so much my entire core because I've been working on my hips, glutes, and back due to my injury, but my abs. Oh how I hate ab work. But really, I just need to suck it up, buckle down, and get busy. So, I found this, and I think I'm going to give it a try. First of all, I really like this article because it's not just all "sexy abs in six minutes" or some crazy fitness trend of the moment. Fitness magazine takes the time to explain the ab muscles, and there was a lot of research involved in this workout. Plus, it's yoga. Which I've been reading about forever how yoga is such a good core strengthener. Especially for runners. I'm not a dieter, so I probably won't try that, but I'm thinking I might take up incorporating this workout into my strength routine.

What I look like on my bike
2. I found this article to be an interesting topic. I love my bicycle, and I have been riding since I was a kid. Mostly more for fun and commuting, but I'm trying to start cycling more. Especially since I'm in to triathlons. I always tell Music Man if we ever just get to up and move to wherever we want, I want to move to a bicycle friendly community. Though, just slightly north of us now there's a city that has a super long bicycle trail and some clubs. It's only about 30 minutes away and is probably definitely worth the trip on a Saturday. Hello Summer fun! I would have loved to sit in on this panel!

source
3. Popcorn is good for you. Need I say more?  I've read several health articles about how air-popped, lightly salted popcorn could just be one of the best snacks for you. It's a whole grain food that can fill you up pretty fast. But according to this article and new studies, popcorn is showing to have just as much, if not more, antioxidant levels than fruit or vegetables. I kind of find that hard to believe, but then again, the article makes some good, scientific -I-can't-really-understand-points. Either way, I read popcorn is good for me, so I'm going to jump on it.

4. Lastly, this is a short, personal essay/thought about the emotional benefits of working out. I stumbled upon Fit Fluential  through a few of the training blogs I read, and I really like their concept. Average, everyday people who are fitness gurus or enthusiasts, making strides and being examples in the fitness world. This article is by one of their ambassadors and just talks about how she feels after she works out. I think it goes back to this post of mine a couple of weeks ago. And it's especially resonated with me this week. I've been crazy busy and exhausted, so of course I didn't want to get up early and run this week. But I did. Two times. And then I went to the gym after work last night when all I wanted was to sit on the couch.  And I felt absolutely great afterwards. Working out centers me. It lets me let go of everything else from my week, and I find myself rejuvenated. Just think about how healthy you'll feel afterwards, emotionally, next time you don't want to work out.

Happy reading everyone! Enjoy the weekend!